Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Week Five: I Won't...Worry!

As I considered a "universal" concept for any/every believer, the phrase, "I won't worry," was the first thought that came to mind.  Of course, it isn't easy to do...

As a coach, I always look for the alternative to either a bad or destructive habit.  I consider "worry" as one of those habits because it steals our hope, confidence, faith, and can even paralyze us from doing anything...much less the right/best thing.

Jesus, in Matthew 6:25-7:34 spoke adamantly about the reasons NOT to worry.  In Philippians 4:8, Paul says, "Don't worry about anything; instead pray about everything."

There you go--the antidote, the alternative to worry is to PRAY.  To whom we pray and what we say has the power to escort us into the throne room of the King who answers and hears all prayer.

Be encouraged!

Becky

6 comments:

  1. Hi All: First of all, for some odd reason the conference call line wouldnt do anything after I pushed the buttons.
    So, grrrrr, I finally got in.
    Then an incident just popped up a few minutes before the call where I was indeed worried about a family matter. So I really used the second part of the verse, dont worry but instead pray.
    Immediate application.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you laura, worry and having a way out " to pray" .

    Just wanted to tell you everyone how on time or good timing God has. I was flipping through the tv this morning and saw DR. Amen on tv. I didn't get to watch all of his program but am planing to see if our library has some of his books. ANT haunt me all the time and I need to remember to kill them.

    have a great week everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mickey, that's great. Yes His timing is perfect.
    Eager to hear if others have a way to deal with the worry issue..........favorite verses for this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make a prayer of whatever you are worried about is great idea. I have found that writing things down gets it out of my brain where it scrabbles and on paper where it defines the issue. Then the process of writing the prayer is relinquishing it to God. I have 3 heavy burdens on my plate this week. I can't do anything about any of them but I CAN PRAY. I was thinking that I might need to fast and pray at least one day a week for these areas so that worry does not happen. A sort of nipping it in the bud attitude. Thank you, Becky for another tool for being a healthy american woman.
    I WILL PRAY away any worries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful, practical advice for this week, Becky! Thank you for giving us some real tools to help us through the worries.

    As summer quickly disappears, I have felt the anxiety mount. I had so many projects to accomplish, and I see that I won't get them all finished before teachers head back to school next week. Instead of feeling anxious, though, I will focus on the "I will" projects I wrote down at the beginning of this quarter and accomplished. After a late start, I weeded all of my flower beds, pruned all of my bushes, and planted everything I wanted to plant. I also cleaned out closets and drawers, gave lots of items to Salvation Army, and took some to our church for the upcoming Yard & Bake Sale, and I have even tackled the dreaded basement--a task that I really put off until I took it step by step. As I wrestle with this sense of urgency and anxiety, I will use the "In the name of Jesus . . ." phrase, and I will put my concerns in the form of written prayers.

    Robbie, I love the way you spoke of writing prayer as "relinquishing it to God." What better solution could any of us find? I will keep you in my prayers as you deal with the burdens you alluded to in your post.

    Mickey, Daniel Amen is one of my favorite speakers/writers! I have watched most of his programs on Public Broadcasting Stations, and I have a couple of his books. He offers very practical advice--even showing how the foods we eat can affect the way we think and act. On the East Coast, he comes on PBS often, so you will probably have many opportunities to catch his talks.

    Laura, I'm glad to hear that you have already seen evidence of the power of prayer, too.

    Have a great week, everyone!

    ReplyDelete