What a statement!
When we live above our fears, we can overcome two powerful obstacles in the way of fearless (or faith-filled) living:
Procrastination -- This is a tactic many of us fall into due to either (1) our personality trait (such as a sanguine or phlegmatic) or (2) because we have grown up with people who tolerated or enabled this habit! If you are an habitual procrastinator, it is important to ask yourself (at every juncture), "What am I afraid of...?" Answers might include: boredom, loss of friendship, stress, overcommitment. Please share (post) some of your answers to what makes you afraid to do/be/act/say...something!
Paralyzation -- Fear can physically STOP you from doing anything! I suggest that you just "get started," "make a move in the right direction," have a plan that is broken down into steps that achieve your goal...but don't let fear keep you from action!
This week, consider the ramifications of living a fearless life!
Be encouraged,
Becky
One thing I know I am afraid of, and that is not working. Sounds silly maybe, but I somehow think if I dont spend a day on our business every day, something will go wrong.
ReplyDeleteYesterday my husband made us a nice brunch, and I felt guilty sitting down to eat it. It felt wrong not to be in my office working.
I also used to do a lot of shopping, and now that I cant afford to, I fear not replacing that activity with something.
PS Blogger is not letting me post today.
One thing I know I am afraid of, and that is not working. Sounds silly maybe, but I somehow think if I dont spend a day on our business every day, something will go wrong.
ReplyDeleteYesterday my husband made us a nice brunch, and I felt guilty sitting down to eat it. It felt wrong not to be in my office working.
I also used to do a lot of shopping, and now that I cant afford to, I fear not replacing that activity with something.
PS Blogger is not letting me post today.
Sorry for the double post (thanks to Blogger!).
ReplyDeletePart I -- Comments on Procrastination and Paralyzation:
ReplyDeleteYesterday’s call gave us much to think about! I can definitely relate to the comments about procrastination. My dad used to tease me about my tendency to be late, saying that I came by it naturally, for I arrived in this world three weeks late (much to my mother’s dismay), and have struggled with the tendency to put things off for much of my life. I am much better about getting places on time than I used to be, but I still “get stuck in neutral” when it comes to doing things that are difficult. For instance, when I get a set of research papers from students, the hardest thing is to start grading; however, once I have finally made myself sit down and begin, the worst is over. Last year, I talked about this tendency with one of the guidance counselors at school, and she pointed out that procrastination is part of what she calls the “three P’s.” [I may have blogged about this in another session.] Anyway, she says that procrastination often starts with perfectionism. We fear that we can’t complete something perfectly, so we avoid starting. And sometimes this fear becomes so great that we actually feel paralyzed. I think that’s what happens to me many times. I think I’m also afraid that I won’t have enough time to grade all of the papers well, so I put off starting; not only does that leave me with less time, but the thought of starting haunts me the whole time I’m delaying. That really doesn’t make sense, does it?
Becky’s comments on paralyzation made me think of an old saying from Poor Richard’s Almanack by Ben Franklin: “Well begun is half done.” Making a step by step plan . . . and actually having the courage to take the first step will definitely be more helpful than taking no action at all.
Part II -- What am I afraid of?
ReplyDeleteChange. Letting go. Trying new things. Moving forward. Again I am reminded of a quote; it goes something like this: “We cannot discover new oceans if we lack the courage to lose sight of the shore.” (I don’t know the author.)
Right now I am at a kind of crossroad in my life, and I need to get past this fear of change. In my senior year of college, as I looked forward to graduating and starting my career, I wrote a little three-line poem that I’ve never forgotten:
A vast universe surrounds me.
The voice of challenge beckons,
And I respond.
[Alternate line 3: I must respond. -- I never could decide which one I liked better, but I wasn’t writing it for anyone else, so it really didn’t matter.]
Although part of me wanted to stay in college, I had friends who had already graduated and begun their teaching careers, so I was eager to join them. Between the time I took my last exam and the day I returned to campus for graduation, I was fortunate enough to sign a contract to teach in Anne Arundel County. Now, nearly four decades later, I am still teaching at the same school. Ironically, I have recently graduated from another college, and I have two months of “career counseling” left. As I was taking courses in graphic design, I was thrilled to have something else to pursue, but now that I have completed all the courses, written and revised my résumé, and been given many job leads from the career coach, I am hesitant to take the next step. That old "fear of change" is creeping back into my head.
I am committed to going back to school in the fall (next week, actually), but if I follow through on the job leads, I most likely have a chance to do a little freelance or part-time work in design on the side during the school year. Part of me is still feeling a great deal of anxiety about letting go of a career that I’ve enjoyed for a very long time in pursuit of something I’ve been dreaming about for ages. I’m not sure that makes any more sense than procrastinating about something and then agonizing over the fact that I’m not taking action.
Right now I am hanging on to this scripture: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.” - Jeremiah 29:11.
I'm looking forward to reading about others' fears, so I hope everyone will post their thoughts.
Meanwhile, have a great night!
I have given this much thought. If I lived a fearless life I would care more about what pleased God rather than others.
ReplyDeleteLots of times I am afraid to be myself for fear that I won't be liked.
I don't act on something or say something for fear of being wrong.
I procrastinate things that I am unsure how to do. ie: getting a new insurance policy or filing out paper work for insurance reimbursement. (current things on my desk). Fixing the sprinklers.
Since starting this group 2 years ago, I have seen much improvement in the area of procrastination.
Have a plan and when I get stuck ask myself what I am afraid of. Identify the fear. Educate oneself. Most importantly, bring God into the picture having our security in him since he made us perfect.
I will life a fearless life. Wow doesn't that sound great!!
Laura & Wanda appreciate your thoughts they help the rest of us to look at places we are afraid.
thanks Laura, Wanda and Robbie,
ReplyDeleteWow, each week it seems that Becky is secretly visiting my house and deciding what to talk about each week. I can worry about things from week before last and I am a super procrastinator. (not helpful to be a ADD sanguine phegmatic over 50 !!!) I have never thought about it before relating to fear. I still really have to think about that. Well, Becky also said something about being a grandparent and that is a huge praise. We have recently found out we will grandparents, FIRST TIME !!! Very happy but had to laugh that I started to worry about the pregnancy and that we live thousands of miles away. So, I Must not worry and procranstinate and be a bad example to my future grandchild !
Jenny Grace, very cute post. For those of you not doing the daily walk bible read Psalm 34 powerful statements on the right and wrong kind of fear.
ReplyDelete